“The experience of movement combined with touch is possibly the richest stimulation we can offer babies from birth.”* In baby yoga this stimulation occurs through the mutual involvement of you and your baby. – Francoise Freedman, Birthlight.
Through a series of stretches, movements and yoga sequences you and your baby will experience the pleasure of touch, movement and rhythm, as well as the benefits of deep relaxation. Regular classes promote flexibility and bring balance and harmony to all the body systems.
Yoga with babies offers many benefits and helps their transition from reflex movement to conscious behaviour. It can help to settle babies and to improve their sleep patterns. The movements and massage also aid digestion and give relief to babies suffering with colic or reflux.
As with all our classes, baby yoga is shared at the baby’s pace, nothing is forced and we always work within their range of movement and ability or readiness for a sequence. Each movement has many variations, which makes baby yoga suitable for all ages.
In our baby yoga sessions we teach: Baby massage to begin; then include yoga – gentle stretching and poses; holds and relaxed walks, sequences for mobility and development, positioning, moves for colic, reflux and tummy trouble plus lots of singing and having fun with the babies. We also include basic postnatal stretches for mummy, moves to close the body after childbirth, pelvic floor toning, breathing, a relaxation session and time to talk and share experiences close the class
Benefits for baby
- strengthens the spine and neck
- develops supple joints
- enlivens all the body’s systems, especially the digestive and nervous systems
- balances the nervous system which encourages brain development
- assists the vestibular system: the body system relating to balance and relation of the head to the ground
- yoga is a mutual process therefore communication and interaction with the parent is enhanced
- baby feels that their needs have been listened to and responded to correctly
- behaviour is more ‘settled’
Benefits for You:
- Effective for re-alignment and strengthening of the body following childbirth
- Combines postnatal yoga stretching to strengthen the pelvic floor and core abdominal muscles
- Helps balance hormonal changes that follow childbirth
- Grows confidence in handling the new baby
- Interaction and communication
- Offers a daily routine of activity which enables you to engage constructively with your baby
Above all the sessions are fun and social.